Chat-Based Cooperative Storytelling

Download RaidCall!
Radio Rivendell - The Fantasy Radio Station!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Age Of Darkness Chapter 1a: A Dark Tide Rises

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Age Of Darkness Chapter 1a: A Dark Tide Rises on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:32 am

Admin

avatar
Admin
Storyteller 18:04:17
A large (and growing) crowd of Trall have gathered outside the great wrought-iron and crystal gates of the College of Arcane Arts. Sometime before, a curious bellowing was heard all throughout the city and now mages in the upper terraces of the college towers look out their windows to see the gathering horde. There is something akin to fear in their eyes as they are obviously remembering the last time a large force of Trall gathered in Aranorn.....

Grondthanc 18:05:08
*Hears the group at the gate and lets out a loud laugh and looks down at the roof tops below to see which one is closest*

Grondthanc 18:05:29
Wonder if shallin's garden is open...I bloody hope so *takes deep breath and leaps off roof*

Grondthanc 18:06:38
*Looks down the side of the building, he begins to climb down carefully until at street level, he looks around once he lands*

Storyteller 18:08:34
The streets are busy now, with the midday sun high in the sky overhead. Upon seeing a Trall climb down from the towers, there are exclamations of shock and dismay from the merchants, students and townsfolk. Two guardsmen in polished armor rush up to Grond.

Storyteller 18:09:02
"You there!" one cries "What do you think you're doing climbing all over the tower like a beast! State your name and business!"

Grondthanc 18:09:56
*Grumbles and dusts himself off then looks down at the two and speaks* Grondthanc Grimhammer High Chieftain of Dharfang...you may know me as Grond the mighty if you drink a good lot.

Storyteller 18:11:03
The guards look at each other, then back at this strange Trall. "High Chieftain, is it? Mind telling us why you didn't leave by the door like everyone else?"

Grondthanc 18:12:35
Long story really...I have to see a few friend at Shallin's garden, with all this panic many are there I assume....if you'll excuse me *he pats the guard's shoulders and pushes by them down towards the tavern in the center of the city.

Grondthanc 18:12:56
*Takes off in a sprint down the street now as he is in of course, a rush*

Storyteller 18:13:06
"I, but...hey! We're not finished with you yet!" The guards clamor toward Grond.

Grondthanc 18:13:31
I'll buy you a pint later! I have mages to pick a bone with!

Storyteller 18:13:55
"What do you mean? What's this all about? I think you're going to have to come with us, er...sir."

Storyteller 18:14:18
The guards step forward.

Grondthanc 18:14:21
*Stops now and sighs he turns around* One of your mages up there has kidnapped me friends...

Storyteller 18:14:52
This stops the guards. "Kidnapped? Who? That's a serious charge...."

Grondthanc 18:16:02
Dervi-something...I really must go now! Wind at your back gold in your pockets or what ever you humans say! *he takes off again on his way to Shallin's garden*

Storyteller 18:17:17
Meanwhile, inside the tower, Tain steals softly along a winding corridor dressed in nothing but a man's overshirt. The corridor is empty, but it will not stay so for long.

Tain 18:18:39
Walking along the corridor, not certain where it leads, Tain hums softly to herself, her face aglow. It's as if she is unaware of her surroundings or her bare feet on the cold floors.

Tain 18:19:17
She stops every now and then to try one door or another but none of them will open to her

Storyteller 18:19:21
Following the corridor in a meandering fashion, she soon comes to a winding stone staircase leading downward.

Tain 18:20:04
Without hesitation, she begins to descend, running her fingers along the cold stone walls, her feet barely touching the ground

Storyteller 18:21:25
The stairs descend for what seems like miles until it terminates in a small chamber with but a single, iron-bound door. Two mages stand on either side of the door as guards.

Tain 18:22:28
Her steps slow and she comes to a halt. Without stopping to think she declaims, "I have been sent by Lord Dennivar to bring to him the prisoner, Andel. Step aside."

Tain 18:23:03
Then she giggles.

Storyteller 18:23:33
The guards arch their eyebrows, taking a long (and far too leisurely!) look at her state of undress. "I am afraid we cannot comply, my lady. Lord Dennivar gave us strict orders that the...uh...guest was to stay in the undercells."

Tain 18:24:13
"He has changed his mind. That is why he has sent me. He will be quite upset if I do not bring Andel back to him"

Tain 18:24:32
Tain stands with her hands on her hips and a scolding look on her face.

Tain 18:24:42
She giggles again.

Storyteller 18:25:03
"We cannot allow it, my lady. I am very sorry to disappoint you." The guard is resolute. "The one called Andel may not leave." He looks to his companion, a little put off by the giggling.

Tain 18:25:54
Tain bites her lip and blushes, but manages to look stern. "I must insist, my good man. Move aside or I shall be forced to...to hurt you." Tain advances toward the guard.

Storyteller 18:26:12
From beyond the door comes a bloodcurdling scream, something....in unspeakable pain.

Storyteller 18:26:31
The mages raise their wands. "Please, my lady. Do not make us harm you."

Tain 18:26:58
Tain's eyes open wide and she leaps toward the guard on the right, swinging her fist at him. "Let me in right now!"

Storyteller 18:28:09
Surprisingly, Tain's fist connects with the mage's chin and he falls over backward. The other mage's jaw drops. "You....you HIT him...!"

Tain 18:28:33
Tain turns toward the second mage. "And I'll do the same to you - now open this door!"

Storyteller 18:29:11
The mage points his wand at Tain and utters something unintelligible. Instantly Tain is encased in solid crystal where she stands.

Tain 18:30:05
Tain screams "GROOOOOOOOOOND!"

Storyteller 18:30:47
The mage holds his wand upright and speaks as if to the air. "My...My lord, forgive me for disturbing you, but I thought you might want to know that your lady friend is down here in the undercells..."

Storyteller 18:30:59
Meanwhile....

Storyteller 18:32:15
The green and growing walls of Shalling's Garden look inviting as Grond stumps toward the inn. The main doors are open and a steady stream of patrons move in and out. The talk floating out from inside seems to be excited....and nervous.

Grondthanc 18:32:46
*Thuds in the door and speaks up to the crowded inn* GRONDTHANC'S HOME LADS!

Storyteller 18:33:22
A steady chorus of "Oy!" and "Grond!" and "Bastard, you owe me coin!" floats up to greet the Trall.

Grondthanc 18:34:01
Ha! You payed for most of the kegs I drank to see if I coul do it! But I have other things to dicuss...*he walks to the middle of the room*

Grondthanc 18:34:42
Tell me lads...don't you dislike those stuck up pansies up at the colledge?

Storyteller 18:35:21
"Finger-wagglin' lillies!" a man in the corner cries, then silences himself as there are several mages in the inn....

Grondthanc 18:35:57
Well all who bloody do step outside with me and have a word! *the turns and walks out the door*

Storyteller 18:36:58
Only one or two patrons follow the Trall. The rest look at each other and shrug, going back to their food and drink.

Grondthanc 18:37:29
Well this is disapointing...but still perhaps you two could help me get a full out revolt on the mages hands...

Storyteller 18:38:12
"Revolt?" one of the patrons, an older man with scars on his cheek "Are you daft? Do you have any idea how powerful the mages are?"

Grondthanc 18:38:36
I do...but do you know how powerful a mob is eh?

Storyteller 18:39:05
"I don't feel like gettin' me arse singed by no mages" the other patron, a younger lad, shakes his head.

Grondthanc 18:39:37
Are you aware that 50 trall are close to breaking into the college?

Storyteller 18:40:14
"Aye, that's the talk, sure" the older man says "What of it? The mages protect us, you know. I don't like them, but they are nice to have around in case of attack...."

Storyteller 18:41:12
Meanwhile....

Storyteller 18:42:49
Back in the undercells of the tower, there is a thumping on the inside of the door. The mage turns from the crystallized Tain and opens the door to reveal another mage carrying a bucket and some broken crockery. "The little one's at it again," he says "Threw his dinner at my head this time. I gave him something to think about..."

Tain 18:44:03
Tain shouts "Andel! Andel!"

Tain 18:44:42
And at the guards, "Let me out of here - Lord Dennivar will be so mad at you - he'll disintegrate you!"

Storyteller 18:45:13
The three mages look at Tain and chuckle. One of them, rubbing his jaw from where Tain hit him, walks slowly around her. "Hmm...I can see why m'lord likes this one...look at that leg, there!"

Tain 18:45:57
Tain's eyes follow the guard as far as she can see him while she shrieks at him in what might be construed as Elden obscenities.

Storyteller 18:47:01
From beyond the door comes the sound of......singing? "Damn it!" the third mage says "I thought he'd be out for hours! I'll take care of him...."

Tain 18:47:47
"Don't touch him you ferkachted meshuugha!" Tain screeches partly in Elden. "I will personally skewer you through!"

Tain 18:48:44
"You are all so scared of me that you had to do this instead of stand up like men and fight me fair and square?"

Storyteller 18:49:30
From beyond the door comes an unfamiliar sing-song voice "Annnd...my casita has the blue, blue eyes, but she no love a-me no more....for I am having a face like th' mages outside me door...ohhhhhhhh!!!"

Tain 18:50:12
"Andel!" Tain shrieks. "I'm here. Don't be afraid. These mages are weak and scared. They can't hurt you anymore"

Tain 18:50:49
"Lord Dennivar has commanded me to bring Andel to him. He will not be pleased. Let me OUT of here NOW!"

Storyteller 18:51:16
"Shut up, you!" comes the sound of the mage's voice from below. There is the sound of a small explosion and the singing stops. The mages near Tain chuckle and one of them turns to face her. "Maybe we should let this one out of her crystal...she might entertain us for a bit..."

Grondthanc 18:51:50
*There is a loud crash some ways up the stairs*

Tain 18:51:58
"Yes yes I will. I will entertain you. Let me out now and you won't be sorry", Tain tries another tactic

Grondthanc 18:52:08
*A loud crash of glass*

Grondthanc 18:53:08
*The shattering glass is followed by some grunting and groaning*

Storyteller 18:53:43
The mages look up the stairs, then shrug. "Let her out, Malen," one of them says. "The others will take care of that noise, and the distraction might give us a little more time with her..."

Tain 18:54:08
"Let me out, you won't regret it"

Storyteller 18:54:12
The mage called Malen chuckles and nods. With a wave of his wand, the crystal disappears.

Grondthanc 18:54:51
*There is sounds of a struggle and then a loud crack, then other crack, and then one last crack...then thudding...something is coming down the stairs*

Tain 18:54:57
Tain immediately rushes toward the open door, her shirttails flying

Tain 18:55:11
"Andel!"

Storyteller 18:55:47
The mages look up the stairs, then at Tain, then race upstairs to counter the threat, leaving the Elden girl to the dead-end undercells.

Tain 18:56:23
Without a backward glance, Tain crosses the threshold of the room and what does she see?

Grondthanc 18:57:15
*Grondthanc appears in the doorway right in front of the mage going up the stairs and quickly swings his arm smashing the man into the wall*

Storyteller 18:57:38
A short stairway descends downward into a large hall with barred cells on either side. About halfway down the hall, it widens into a large, circular chamber filled with tables, racks and various bizarre implements.

Storyteller 18:58:48
After smashing the mage to the wall, the room is eerily quiet for Grond.

Tain 18:58:51
Sprinting down the stairs and yelling Andel's name over and over, Tain comes to a halt and gazes wide-eyed at the instruments in the room.

Tain 18:59:16
"What IS all this?" she whispers to herself

Storyteller 18:59:35
There is no answer, save only various voices whimpering from the cells.

Grondthanc 18:59:57
*Spits on the mage and thuds towards the open door mumbling* Damn men don't known when there being used as bloody puppets...should have sent and army to burn this place to the ground.

Tain 19:00:34
She slowly walks around the room, peering into each cell, trying to get her eyes to adjust to the dim, indistinct light.

Storyteller 19:00:41
Joining Tain in the circular chamber, Grond sees all of the tables and implements. Tain is visibly upset....and practically naked. Razz

Grondthanc 19:00:55
Tain!

Tain 19:00:59
Grond!

Grondthanc 19:01:14
Where the hells did you...er where are your bloody clothes?

Tain 19:01:49
"Look at this stuff!" She gestures around the room and then fixes her eyes on Grond's chin, blushing profusely. "I..they were torn."

Grondthanc 19:03:13
*simply accepts the fact the elden is prancing about pantless* I tried to start a revolt of the people...they are to bloody brain washed to know when they are oppressed...*he looks around the room* Eh...magic stuff?

Storyteller 19:03:35
"Docha, casita," comes a small voice from one of the cells "If you are the planning to be getting less clothed, pleasa tell me now so that I am thanking Muervo before I die, yes?"

Tain 19:04:06
"It doesn't look magical to me - it looks....awful." Tain wrinkles her nose and advances toward the voice. "Are you speaking to me?"

Grondthanc 19:04:25
*Eyes shoot to a cell and quickly asks before thinking* You hate the mages?

Tain 19:05:12
Tain glances at Grond with a frown, not certain what he's talking about. She addresses the voice. "Who are you? What are you doing here?"

Storyteller 19:05:24
"Alo," the voice says, and two tiny hands come forth from the shadows to grasp the bars to the cell "Yes, I am hating the mages. Cascora-nocho! They are the pigs with the smelly feet and small ocho-govanas!"

Tain 19:06:08
Tain rolls her eyes and shakes her head. "We're looking for Andel. Do you know Andel?"

Grondthanc 19:06:13
Then you are a friend! *he walks over to the the cell door and cracks his knuckles* Terrible metal work here...

Tain 19:06:44
"Grond! We need to find Andel! And soon" Tain bites her lip nervously and glances over her shoulder.

Grondthanc 19:07:07
Give me a moment Tain...any enemy of these thin-skin mages is a friend of mine.

Grondthanc 19:07:36
*Grabs the outermost bars of the door and begins to pull back roaring*

Storyteller 19:07:36
"You must be the hurrying," the voice admonishes "The pigs, they come soon, I am thinking...."

Tain 19:07:47
Tain sighs loudly and murmurs, "...no help at all.." then proceeds to move back up the stairs

Storyteller 19:08:33
The bars, squeal in protest and with a loud grown bend outward.

Grondthanc 19:08:59
Come through now friend...*he steps back*

Tain 19:09:18
Tain continues moving back up the stairs, her feet flying faster and she yells down to Grond, "Come up when you're done whatever you're doing. I'm going to find Andel!"

Grondthanc 19:09:50
Got it Tain!

Storyteller 19:10:10
A diminutive figure, no larger than three and a half feet steps through the bars. Dressed in rags, an almost doll-like face looks up at Grond with multi-faceted, ruby-red eyes with no pupils. "Ago!" he says with a smile "You are having my thanks, big boy!"

Storyteller 19:11:01
Another moan floats out from one of the cells...it is almost a gasp.

Grondthanc 19:11:12
A sprite! Splendid! You will have need of a blade at once!

Tain 19:11:18
Tain runs her fingers through her hair in frustration as she mounts the steps and grumbles to herself in consternation, "Where are my clothes?"

Grondthanc 19:11:46
*Pulls out his boot knife which is a shortsword to most folk* Will this do?

Tain 19:12:28
"Grond!", she yells back down the stairs with a growl. "I may need you, but I'm not waiting!"

Storyteller 19:12:31
"A blade?" the sprite looks critically at the knife "Because I am owing you my life, big boy, I will be taking this...this pig-cleaver, though it is as nothing when compared to my Chiavatta!"

Grondthanc 19:13:07
Very well then, come! The elden won't wait!

Tain 19:13:35
Tain suddenly turns and runs back down the stairs, almost colliding with Grond and the little whatzit.

Grondthanc 19:13:52
*Hands the blade to the sprite and runs to tain*

Storyteller 19:14:01
"You are having a name, big boy? Azore! *is almost trampled by Tain* Aie! It is you, Casita! I am being the very happy now!"

Tain 19:14:07
"Wait! I didn't check all these cells, did I?"

Tain 19:14:55
She glares at the little hoohah and runs from cell to cell, peering closely inside ech one in turn. "Andel?", she shouts

Tain 19:15:35
I'm Casita? What is that a small Cassava melon?

Grondthanc 19:15:36
Grondthanc Grimhammer High Chieftain...I prefer Grond.

Tain 19:16:18
Tain comes to the last cell, and in desperation she once again calls, "Andel!" as she pulls on the bars

Storyteller 19:17:10
The sprite grins widely and bows to Grond, then turns to address Tain "Casita is, how you say, um....a rose of purest beauty. This is my word to describe you, yes? Casita. I am being called Roveno Caspore. I am being at your service, Casita and Grond!"

Storyteller 19:17:29
A small voice calls out from inside the cell...very frail, very weak.

Storyteller 19:18:01
"....Tain...."

Grondthanc 19:18:10
Pleasure to see a bright-eye agai-*he stops hearing the voice*

Tain 19:18:18
Tain turns to the sprite and spits across the room at him. "Then do something helpf..." Turning back to the voice, she screeches "ANDEL?"

Storyteller 19:19:03
The sprite looks terribly offended for a brief moment, then scrambles over to a table. "Casita, I am thinking there are the...how you say...the klinky...ah...KEYS, here!"

Tain 19:19:54
Her voice catches in her throat and becomes a sob, "Why didn't you give those to me before you little worm?" She races over to the table and grabs the keys from his hand without ceremony.

Storyteller 19:20:26
Roveno looks to Grond "Casita is being the...ah...exciteable, no?"

Tain 19:20:28
Frantically struggling to insert each one into the lock, her fingers tremble. "Grond, I can't do this, help me!"

Grondthanc 19:21:03
*Thuds up and rips the door off it's hings* There..

Storyteller 19:21:38
The smell of decaying flesh assails your nostrils suddenly....

Tain 19:21:57
Tain wrinkles her nose, doubles over and retches

Grondthanc 19:22:09
*Stumbles back* Gah! What on elberen or below it?!?

Tain 19:22:47
She sinks to her knees weakly and covers her mouth with both hands.





TO BE CONTINUED......


_________________
"There are kinds of action, for good or ill, that lie so far outside the boundaries of normal behavior that they force us, in acknowledging that they have occurred, to restructure our own understanding of reality. We have to make room for them."

~Guy Gavriel Kay "The Summer Tree"
View user profile http://elberen.forumotion.com

2 Re Age of Darkness on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Gosh I freaking love Roveno why was Tain such a jerk to the fella!? This session was fun but my useless antics at the start made it a bit hectic.


_________________
Movin' along on The Grond Funk Railroad.
View user profile
I love the sprite too, Tain is simply a bit stressed at anything that slows her down from finding Andel.
She's rather confused about things that are happening to her, she's nervous and a bit fearful of winding up on Dennivar's "wrong side" (which she might by sneaking about and freeing his prisoner), she figures she doesn't have much time to find Andel anyway, she's been encased in crystal, Grond has been absent and now this little vahntz wants to ogle her legs and buddypal with Grond instead of help her find Andel NOW.

I'm sure she'll grow to love him once Andel is safe and she figures out what the heck is happening to her.

As for me? I wanna take him home and feed him cupcakes Very Happy

View user profile

4 Art on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:08 am

Art! Take a look and do tell me your thoughts!

Roveno Casporeh (add big ears and take away pupils of course) http://brennor.dyndns.org/~steve/Kingmaker/PCs/PC-Lem.jpg

Thin-skin, cowardly Mage
http://stoyan3d.cghub.com/files/Image/135001-136000/135643/292_stream.jpg

Elden maleĀ 
http://fc08.deviantart.net/images/i/2003/39/c/5/Concept_Art___Tree_Elf_Male.jpg

Artistic take (for no Trall lives who who remembers his visage) on Zirzak, first High Chieftain and hero to all Trall.
http://images.cryhavok.org/d/5542-1/Ogre+Mage.jpg

Awesome Elden-ish thing
http://jeffstokely.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Elf-Concept1.jpg


_________________
Movin' along on The Grond Funk Railroad.
View user profile
I like the mage a lot and the Trall is good too



Last edited by Faeriecakes on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

6 Re The elden on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 am

I liked the Tribal look of it, but yes its not a very good picture, I have found portraits of the trio in fact...or how at least I see them. My favorite picture from the bunch has to be Tain's, I'll post them some time.


_________________
Movin' along on The Grond Funk Railroad.
View user profile

Admin

avatar
Admin
Faeriecakes wrote:
And um....lol, why is Roveno calling Tain "casita"? Does she in any way whatsoever remind him that much of a "little house" lol?

You can accept that there are Elden, Sprites, dragons and magic, but somehow a word meaning something different in another world trips you up?


_________________
"There are kinds of action, for good or ill, that lie so far outside the boundaries of normal behavior that they force us, in acknowledging that they have occurred, to restructure our own understanding of reality. We have to make room for them."

~Guy Gavriel Kay "The Summer Tree"
View user profile http://elberen.forumotion.com

Admin

avatar
Admin
The sprite picture is perfect (just add the eyes and ears like you said). I love it. Smile

The mage looks like more of an assassin, but he'll work. Smile

Not crazy about the art style, but I like the concept for the Elden. Fae and I keep seeming to forget our tribal roots as we keep playing our Elden as though they are just 'elves'. It's kind of frustrating for me that I keep doing that. Razz

The Trall picture is a little samurai-esque, but still pretty damn cool. How the hell do they kiss with those mouths???

The last is....well, I will just say that I got shivers and that there is much more to the artist than he may be letting on about himself.


_________________
"There are kinds of action, for good or ill, that lie so far outside the boundaries of normal behavior that they force us, in acknowledging that they have occurred, to restructure our own understanding of reality. We have to make room for them."

~Guy Gavriel Kay "The Summer Tree"
View user profile http://elberen.forumotion.com

9 Trio portraits on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:59 am


_________________
Movin' along on The Grond Funk Railroad.
View user profile

Admin

avatar
Admin
Those are perfect. Smile

GODS, do I wish one of us was an artist and could fill this site with our own art....*sigh*


_________________
"There are kinds of action, for good or ill, that lie so far outside the boundaries of normal behavior that they force us, in acknowledging that they have occurred, to restructure our own understanding of reality. We have to make room for them."

~Guy Gavriel Kay "The Summer Tree"
View user profile http://elberen.forumotion.com

11 Re perfect on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 pm

They catch their character do they not?


_________________
Movin' along on The Grond Funk Railroad.
View user profile

Admin

avatar
Admin
I certainly think so. Smile


_________________
"There are kinds of action, for good or ill, that lie so far outside the boundaries of normal behavior that they force us, in acknowledging that they have occurred, to restructure our own understanding of reality. We have to make room for them."

~Guy Gavriel Kay "The Summer Tree"
View user profile http://elberen.forumotion.com
[/quote]You can accept that there are Elden, Sprites, dragons and magic, but somehow a word meaning something different in another world trips you up?[/quote]

Sorry.

View user profile
[/quote]Fae and I keep seeming to forget our tribal roots as we keep playing our Elden as though they are just 'elves'. It's kind of frustrating for me that I keep doing that. [/quote]

I suppose it should frustrate me as well.

Sorry.

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum